What is Mindfulness?
Being mindful is being fully present, in the moment, aware of our surroundings, thoughts and emotions without judgement.
How does one become more mindful?
- Start short, just a few minutes
- You’re mind WILL wander, and that’s OKAY
- The goal is to be completely present in that moment
- Observe your senses, emotions and feelings without judgement
- When your mind wanders simply recognize it, without judgement, and bring yourself back to the present moment
- Chances are, this will happen over and over so don’t be hard on yourself
- The goal is not to quiet your mind, it’s to learn how to live in the moment without judgement, to be aware of what is going on within and around us but not overly reacting to it
- Everything we do can be done more mindfully
- Making a meal
- Brushing your teeth
- Pumping gas
- Making the bed
- Driving to work
- Walking the dog
- . . . ANYTHING
- Tune into your senses, noticing your thoughts and emotions